UN blames Yemen warring sides for 'man-made' cholera crisis

2017-07-12 19:54
UN aid chief Stephen O'Brien. (AFP File)

UN aid chief Stephen O'Brien. (AFP File)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

New York - The UN aid chief on Wednesday blamed Yemen's warring parties and their foreign backers for a 'man-made' cholera outbreak affecting 320 000 people in a country already reeling from war and severe food shortages.

"This cholera scandal is entirely man-made by the conflicting parties and those beyond Yemen's borders who are leading, supplying, fighting and perpetuating the fear and fighting," Stephen O'Brien told the UN Security Council.

The humanitarian crisis "is a direct result of the conflict and serious violations of international law", he said.

More than 320 000 suspected cholera cases have been reported in nearly all of Yemen's districts and at least 1 740 people have died from the outbreak, said O'Brien, the UN under-secretary general for humanitarian affairs.

Describing the humanitarian crisis as "appalling", Yemen's UN envoy Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed said the country was in the throes of not "a single emergency, but a number of complex emergencies".

More than seven million people are at risk of famine in Yemen, already among the Arab world's poorest countries.

Yemen's health system has collapsed during the war pitting the Saudi-led coalition backing the internationally recognised Yemeni government and Iran-backed Shi'ite Huthi rebels since March 2015.

The Huthi rebels still hold the capital Sana'a and Taez, the country's third largest city.

O'Brien appealed for $250m in funding for the UN response to the cholera crisis. So far, only $47m has been received.

He also urged council powers to take action to ensure public servants are paid so that health facilities can reopen.

The airport in Sana'a, which closed last year, must be reopened and the port of Hodeida, a crucial lifeline for deliveries of food and medicine, must be kept safe from attack, O'Brien said.

The aid chief urged Saudi Arabia to allow mobile cranes left in Dubai to arrive at Hodeida port.

Riyadh has accused the Huthi rebels of using the port to smuggle weapons into the country.

"You will have to lean much more heavily and effectively on the parties and those outside Yemen who are leading this policy and action," O'Brien told the council.

Read more on:    un  |  yemen

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
 

8 great natural remedies for your pet

Tips and tricks to cure your pet’s itches and coughs, naturally.

 
 

Paws

Buying a puppy? Don’t get scammed!
WATCH: These funny animal videos will make you LOL!
11 animals before and after they were adopted from shelters
Competition pet grooming – creative or too extreme?
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.