US orders families of troops, staff out of southern Turkey

2016-03-29 21:38
(Picture: AFP)

(Picture: AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Washington - The Pentagon and the State Department on Tuesday ordered families of US troops and civilian personnel stationed in southern Turkey to leave the region due to security fears.

The order encompasses the city of Adana, where a US consulate and Incirlik air base are located, as well as Ismir and Mugla provinces.

"This decision allows for the deliberate, safe return of family members from these areas due to continued security concerns in the region," the Pentagon said in a statement.

The State Department also restricted official visits to Turkey "mission-critical" travel only.

The Pentagon in September encouraged the families of troops and diplomats stationed in southern Turkey to leave the country, but there was no mandatory order.

In addition to the ordered evacuations of family members, the United States also re-issued a travel warning to all Americans in Turkey.

"The US Department of State warns US citizens of increased threats from terrorist groups throughout Turkey and to avoid travel to southeastern Turkey," the State Department said.

"Foreign and US tourists have been explicitly targeted by international and indigenous terrorist organisations," it added, cautioning Americans to avoid areas close to the Syrian border.

Fears of Islamic State jihadists staging fresh strikes are high following last week's attacks in Brussels.

Incirlik has become a key base for the United States and the coalition it leads against ISIS fighters in Iraq and Syria.

The strategically located facility provides coalition drones and warplanes fast access to ISIS targets across northern Syria and into Iraq.

"We understand this is disruptive to our military families, but we must keep them safe and ensure the combat effectiveness of our forces to support our strong ally Turkey in the fight against terrorism," US European Command head General Philip Breedlove said.

Military officials said the order was prompted by "continued security concerns" rather than a specific threat.

In all, 670 dependents of US military personnel - as well as 287 pets - were expected to evacuate.

The US consulate in Adana will remain open as usual.

Read more on:    turkey  |  us

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.