VatiLeaks journo won't give in to 'inquisition'

2015-11-17 10:21
Italian journalist and writer Gianluigi Nuzzi. (AP)

Italian journalist and writer Gianluigi Nuzzi. (AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Vatican City - Gianluigi Nuzzi, one of two Italian journalists facing a criminal probe over leaks from the Vatican, said on Monday he would defy a summons to be interrogated by Holy See prosecutors.

Under the hashtag #Noinquisition, Nuzzi said on his website that he had decided not to appear as requested on Tuesday because Vatican law did not guarantee his right to publish news in the public interest while protecting his sources.

"Revealing secret news [in the Vatican] does not earn a medal, as happens for the free press in the entire democratic world, instead it is always, and in every case, a crime," Nuzzi wrote.

The journalist went on to question why the Vatican was investigating him and a colleague rather than looking into the serious allegations of financial malpractice made in his just-published book, "The Merchants in the Temple".

The Vatican announced last week that it was investigating Nuzzi and another reporter Emiliano Fittipaldi for divulging the content of confidential Vatican documents, in breach of a law adopted by the Holy See in 2013.

The legislation was introduced by Pope Francis after the VatiLeaks scandal which saw his predecessor Benedict XVI weakened by leaks to the media orchestrated by his own butler.

Nuzzi and Fittipaldi's books use classified documents to back up depictions of corruption, theft and uncontrolled spending at the Vatican.

They notably claim charity money was spent on refurbishing the houses of powerful cardinals and that the Vatican bank continues to shelter suspected criminals.

Vatican officials have dismissed the content of the books as either inaccurate or out of date, insisting that reforms instigated by Pope Francis have addressed some, if not all, of the irregularities highlighted.

Angel Vallejo Baldo, a Spanish priest suspected of leaking the documents, is currently in detention in the Vatican pending the outcome of the investigation.

An alleged accomplice, Italian PR executive Francesca Immacolata Chaouqui, is also being investigated, but was released from custody after saying she would co-operate with the authorities.

She has since insisted that Baldo acted alone and that the priest had been behind a secret recording of Francis railing against the chaotic state of Vatican finances he inherited on becoming Pope in 2013.

Francis himself has branded the leaking of the Vatican documents as "a deplorable act which does not help".

Read more on:    vatican city  |  religion

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.