WATCH: Little girl pulled out alive from rubble after air raids pound Aleppo

2016-09-23 13:32

Aleppo - A small girl has been pulled out alive from the rubble after Syrian and Russian aircraft pounded rebel-held areas of Aleppo, following the army announcing a new offensive aimed at retaking all of the divided second city.

In the video posted to CNN's Twitter account, the audibly traumatised child can be heard crying whilst being dug out from underneath the freshly bombed buildings.

At least 30 strikes hit the rebel-held east of the city during the night and early on Friday, killing at least three people, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.

The Britain-based monitoring group said that dozens of people were wounded and that more dead were feared buried under the rubble.

Two civil defence centres were damaged in the bombardment, an AFP correspondent reported.

Airstrikes and barrel bombs

Russian warplanes were carrying out strikes alongside Syrian aircraft, Observatory chief Rami Abdel Rahman said.

"The Syrians are dropping barrel bombs and the Russian planes are launching strikes," he told AFP.

The raids came after the Syrian army announced late on Thursday that it was launching a new offensive to retake rebel-held parts of the city.

The Observatory said it was "a large-scale land offensive supported by Russian air strikes aimed at taking bit by bit the eastern sector of Aleppo and emptying it of its residents."

A truce deal hammered out between Russia and the US briefly halted the violence earlier this month, but it collapsed after just a week without any of the promised deliveries of desperately needed relief supplies.

UN envoy Staffan de Mistura warned: "What is happening is Aleppo is under attack and everyone is going back to the conflict."

Aleppo was once Syria's commercial and industrial hub but has been ravaged by fighting and roughly divided between government control in the west and rebel control in the east since mid-2012.

Rebel districts have been under siege by the army for most of the past two months after troops overran the last supply lines.

More than 300 000 people have been killed in Syria since the conflict began with anti-government protests in March 2011.

Read more on:    us  |  russia  |  syria

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.