Woman pleads guilty in UN bribery scheme

2016-01-15 08:51
John Ashe. (AP File 2013)

John Ashe. (AP File 2013)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

New York - A Chinese businesswoman pleaded guilty on Thursday in a bribery case accusing a former president of the United Nations General Assembly of accepting more than $1m from sources in China to use his position to promote various business interests.

Heidi Piao told a judge in federal court in Manhattan that she and others arranged secret payments "with the intent of influencing John Ashe in his official capacity".

The plea was part of a co-operation agreement that could require Piao to testify against Ashe, a former ambassador to the United Nations from Antigua and Barbuda, and earn her leniency on bribery, money laundering and other charges that carry a combined maximum penalty of 60 years in prison.

Paio, a 52-year-old naturalised US citizen was charged last year along with Chinese billionaire Ng Lap Seng, Ashe and others in a case US Attorney Preet Bharara said could show that "the cancer of corruption that plagues too many local and state governments infects the United Nations as well".

Court papers accuse Ashe of taking $200 000 from Piao and another defendant in exchange for attending and speaking in his official capacity at a private conference in China hosted by a real estate developer. In addition, Ashe also agreed to promote a $20m deal for an unnamed company to install a "national internet security system" for Antigua, the court papers say.

The government's papers also accuse Ashe, aged 61, of using the bribes to support a lavish lifestyle, spending $59 000 on hand-tailored suits in Hong Kong, $54 000 for two Rolex watches and $40 000 to lease a new BMW X5. He also bought a membership at a South Carolina country club for $69 000, and built a $30 000 basketball court at his home in Dobbs Ferry, New York, according to the papers.

Ng has been accused of bribing Ashe to support a multibillion-dollar UN-sponsored conference center that Ng hoped to build as his legacy in Macau, where he lived. Also charged was Francis Lorenzo, a deputy UN ambassador from the Dominican Republic, who prosecutors say was paid tens of thousands of dollars a month by Ng's organisations to support the Macau project.

All three men have pleaded not guilty and are out on bail. Their lawyers have said they are fighting the charges and will be vindicated.

Read more on:    un  |  us  |  china  |  security

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.