Yemen govt suspends talks with rebels

2016-05-01 18:05
Yemen's UN envoy Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed holds a press conference at the ministry of information in Kuwait City. (AFP)

Yemen's UN envoy Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed holds a press conference at the ministry of information in Kuwait City. (AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Kuwait City - Yemen's government temporarily suspended on Sunday its participation in talks with Iran-backed rebels in protest at their takeover of a military base and continued ceasefire violations, officials said.

"The delegation of the Republic of Yemen has suspended its participation in Kuwait talks because of the continued violations by rebels and their takeover of Al-Amaliqa base," foreign minister and head of delegation Abdulmalek al-Mikhlafi said on Twitter.

He said the suspension will last "until guarantees for compliance were provided", without providing details.

A spokesperson for Mikhlafi told AFP that the government delegation has suspended its participation in both "direct and indirect" talks taking place in Kuwait.

"The suspension will continue until guarantees are provided that the rebels will stop their ceasefire violations and withdraw from the base," Mane al-Matari told AFP.

The United Nations also said it was informed by the government delegation that it will not attend a round of talks scheduled for later on Sunday.

"The government delegation informed the special envoy that they will not attend plenary sessions today," Charbel Raji, spokesperson for UN special envoy Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed, told AFP.

Plenary sessions are attended by all delegates.

Government representatives will remain in Kuwait, delegates said.

"We call on the United Nations to act seriously to end these violations which threaten to undermine the peace talks," said a government official who asked not to be identified.

Face-to-face talks 

On Saturday, Yemen's warring parties held their first face-to-face talks since the negotiations in Kuwait began on April 21.

The UN envoy said these direct talks were "productive" and had touched on key issues.

But later on Saturday, the rebels and their allies overran Al-Amaliqa base in northern Yemen after hours of clashes, tribal and military sources said, adding that the fighting caused casualties.

The sources said the commanders of the 600-strong brigade at the base, located in the rebel stronghold province of Amran since 2014, had "chosen to remain neutral" as pro-government forces, backed a Saudi-led coalition, clashed with the insurgents across Yemen.

"The attack against Al-Amaliqa brigade torpedoes the peace consultations in Kuwait," Mikhlafi has said on Twitter.

Yemen's warring parties have repeatedly traded blame for ceasefire violations.

Government loyalists said they have recorded "3 694 ceasefire violations by the Huthis and their allies" - troops fighting in support of former president Ali Abdullah Saleh.

Meanwhile, the rebels accused government forces and the Saudi-led coalition backing them of 4 000 breaches.

The coalition in March 2015 began a military campaign against the rebels, who have seized the capital Sana'a among other parts of the country.

The UN says that more than 6 400 people have been killed since then and around 2.8 million displaced.

Rebel spokesperson Mohammed Abdulsalam wrote on Facebook on Saturday that Saudi Arabia freed 40 Yemeni rebel prisoners as part of a deal reached with the kingdom in March to calm the situation along the border.

Read more on:    yemen

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.