Threat to Australia is real, after lone wolf attacks urged - PM

2016-09-07 18:02
Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull. (Saeed Khan, AFP)

Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull. (Saeed Khan, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Sydney - The threat of a terror attack in Australia is "real" Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull said after the so-called Islamic State group urged followers to target Sydney's beachside Bondi and the Melbourne Cricket Ground.

Responding to an English-language online magazine that singled out prominent Australian locations at which to kill people, Turnbull said it was a "disturbing reminder" of the security situation.

"We have a threat level of 'probable', so it is a real threat," he said on Tuesday when speaking to reporters in Vientiane, Laos.

"The capacity of Daesh, of course, is much less than they proclaim it to be but we do have to be very alert to the actions of these lone actors," he said, using another name for the Islamic State.

The first edition of the magazine Rumiyah released in English online on Monday called for attacks on the streets of Brunswick and Broadmeadows in Melbourne and Bondi in Sydney.

"Kill them at the MCG, the SCG (Sydney Cricket Ground), the Opera House, and even in their backyards," it said.

‘Destructive, lethal conduct’

Turnbull said ISIS jihadists would "resort to terrorist activities outside of the Middle East" as they came under more pressure on the battlefield in Syria and Iraq.

In relation to so-called "lone wolf" attackers, he said some individuals could be radicalised very quickly "and engage in very destructive, lethal conduct".

But he added: "Every time there is a terrorist incident, wherever it is in the world, we learn as much as we can about it and then take those learnings to keep Australians more safe".

Australia's Justice Minister Michael Keenan said the latest threat did not change the fundamentals in Australia, where the terror threat was lifted to high in 2014.

"This is not the first time that ISIS has called for attacks in Australia and I don't think it will be the last," he told the Nine Network on Wednesday.

Officials say they have stopped 10 terror attacks in Australia in the past two years.

Police chief commissioner for the state of Victoria, Graham Ashton, said while it was the first time such threats had been published in English rather than Arabic, the magazine "appears to be propaganda".

Ashton said while police were taking the comments seriously, there was nothing to suggest any specific threat to the places mentioned.

"If anything arises then we'll obviously be acting on it, but at this stage there is nothing of any concern," he told reporters.

Read more on:    isis  |  australia

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.