Asthmatic boy rescues woman from burning house

By admin
18 May 2015

A 15-year-old Germiston boy has told how he scaled a two-metre gate to rescue a woman from a burning house over the weekend.

Jeandré Potgieter, who suffers from asthma, told Netwerk24 he still doesn't know how he managed to get over the gate, but he was not scared when he ran into the burning house.

His grandfather, Corrie Potgieter, believes adrenalin took over.

Jeandré's grandfather and his uncle, Cornél, are members of the Elspark community policing forum. When they heard the emergency call about the fire on Saturday afternoon, the three raced to the house.

While his grandfather and uncle were trying to break through the gate, Jeandré swiftly climbed over it.

He found the owner of the house, a widow in her 40s, standing in her kitchen in a confused state, her face covered with soot. Jeandré led her outside to safety.

A neighbour told Netwerk24 that the woman had screamed out that her house was on fire and then gone back to try and rescue her three dogs, who all survived.

She lived in the house with her elderly father-in-law, and her son, who were not home at the time.

The fire quickly spread through the house, with not much remaining apart from the walls and a few scorched onions.

Jeandré said the flames were approaching the kitchen when he went inside and took the woman out. They were both taken to hospital where they were treated for smoke inhalation, and discharged the same day.

Netwerk24

Find Love!

Men
Women