Boy dies after swallowing firework

By Kirstin Buick
07 November 2013

A six-year-old boy died in Durban after swallowing a firework during the Diwali festival.

A six-year-old boy died in Durban after swallowing a firework during the Diwali festival, The Star reported on Thursday.

Tyreece Jordan Naicker swallowed the firework on Sunday morning but only told his mother later that day.

She made him regurgitate and found a piece of the firework. He was rushed to hospital where he later died, the newspaper reported.

The boy's uncle, Ronnie Naicker, said he was not certain what the firework was called and how much he had swallowed.

The tip of the firework has to be rubbed on the floor to ignite, in a similar way to striking a match. The firework lets off a fountain of sparks.

Naicker told the newspaper that the boy, who attended primary school, was his normal self the entire Sunday evening but took a bad turn on Monday.

- SAPA Share your thoughts:

Find Love!

Men
Women