Day of reckoning for motorist who killed Milnerton head boy

By admin
22 January 2016

The man responsible for the death of a Milnerton teen killed in Hermanus will on Friday be sentenced in the Strand Regional Court.

The parents of 18-year-old Jake Wooton, who was hit by a car on the first day of his seaside holiday, have called for the driver, Schalk Lubbe, to serve time behind bars and have his licence revoked.

Lubbe was convicted of culpable homicide.

Steve Wootton told News24 his son had been murdered and that Lubbe had used his vehicle as a weapon.

"It wasn't an accident," he insisted.

"Oscar Pistorius got five years for shooting Reeva Steenkamp. Imprisonment is not a harsh sentence.

"What is the difference between a gun and a car [if it results in someone's death]?"

Susan Wootton, who has since had her son's name tattooed on her ankle, said their lives were forever changed on April 4 2012.

"It's unbearable knowing we will never be able to have our whole family together again. We lost a part of our world. We will never get over it."

Correctional Services official Jacqueline Engelbrecht, however, told regional Magistrate Franceline Mouton that Lubbe had shown remorse, became emotional when speaking about the incident, and had difficulty sleeping.

Lubbe's mother, Loretta, told the court her son had changed drastically since the incident and that he no longer wanted to go out or "do anything".

But the Woottons dismissed this as lies, stating that pictures posted on Lubbe's girlfriend's Facebook page showed that the couple were still enjoying their lives as though nothing had happened.

Lubbe was acquitted of drunk driving, as blood samples had not immediately been taken.

The State has called for house arrest and correctional supervision, while the defence has called for a suspended sentence.

News24

Find Love!

Men
Women