Eight-week-old baby suffocates in cot liner, mother protests to ban cot liners

By YOU
30 July 2017

"I remember one paramedic told me that I should prepare myself for the worst as they don't usually bring babies back from this point.”

A shattered mom discovered her eight-week-old baby had died in her sleep after suffocating on a cot liner.

And now she wants to ban cot liners and similar products for good.

Carly Wowk (21) was taking a nap downstairs – while watching a movie with her brother – when her partner Kiowa Wood (21) frantically screamed for help.

PHOTO: Magazine Features PHOTO: Magazine Features

Her worse nightmare came true when she bolted up the stairs to find her lifeless daughter, limp and blue, lying face down in her little padded bed.

“I had my younger brother at my house so I put Zara down for her nap,” says the devasted mother. “I wrapped her up and put her in her cot with her bed insert. I just wanted her comfortable.”

Carly then quickly called an ambulance while they attempted giving her CPR and hoped deep down that her baby would survive the awful ordeal.

"It only took four minutes for the paramedics to get to Zara but it felt like hours, the longest four minutes of my life.

"I remember one paramedic told me that I should prepare myself for the worst as they don't usually bring babies back from this point,” Carly said.

Carly and Kiowa made the hard decision for doctors to stop CPR after they were made aware that their little angel suffered severe brain damage and would be disabled.

PHOTO: Magazine Features PHOTO: Magazine Features

They were able to spend 7 hours cuddling their precious girl.

"I held her for seven hours after the life support turned off. I couldn't stop crying.

"I just accepted it at that moment, I knew she wasn't coming back, I held her little hands as she died,” says the devastated mom-of-two.

Carly now wants the little snuggle beds and cots to come with a warning to parents about possible suffocation.

And wants parents not to leave their little children unattended while sleeping.

"I have no doubt that the cot liner suffocated her. They should come with a warning of the dangers of babies not being able to breathe if they end up with their faces too close.

"I'm campaigning for them to be taken off the shelves," she says.

Carly shared her story in hopes that the same thing doesn’t happen to another child again.

"I'm sharing this story in Zara's name, so it never happens to another child again,” says Carly.

Sources: mirror.co.uk, Magazine Features

Find Love!

Men
Women