Heater fumes kill Joburg mom and toddler

By admin
24 June 2015

A woman and her 2-year-old son have died after they inhaled carbon monoxide from a coal burning brazier (or imbaula) they had lit overnight inside their shack in Ivory Park extension 6, Johannesburg emergency services said on Wednesday.

 A woman and her 2-year-old son have died after they inhaled carbon monoxide from a coal burning brazier (or imbaula) they had lit overnight inside their shack in Ivory Park extension 6, Johannesburg emergency services said on Wednesday.

The 31-year-old's husband and their second son, aged 8, were both in a critical condition at the Tembisa hospital, east of Johannesburg, spokesperson Robert Mulaudzi said.

Emergency services were alerted after neighbours suspected something was wrong.

Mulaudzi urged those using the home-made heating devices inside their homes to make sure the rooms were well ventilated.

News24

Find Love!

Men
Women