Help, my child has been shocked

By admin
01 May 2014

Here’s how to help your child if he or she has had an unpleasant encounter with an electrical appliance.

Here’s how to help your child if he or she has had an unpleasant encounter with an electrical appliance:

1 Stay away from live cables, especially if they’re not sheathed and are writhing on the ground. Sparks are a sign the current is live.

2 Break the contact between the person and the source of the electricity – but don’t touch the person with your bare hands because the current could flow through you too. At the very least wrap a dry towel around your hands before making contact. Or use a wooden implement such as a broom or wooden spoon to separate the person from the live current. In case the floor has conducted the current, stand on non-conductive material such as a rubber mat, a pile of newspapers or a sheet of plastic or cardboard.

3 If you can, turn the electrical current off at the mains.

4 Ensure the child’s airway is open and he’s breathing and has a pulse.

5 Do mouth-to-mouth resuscitation if he’s not breathing and begin cardiac massage if there’s no pulse.

6 Get medical help immediately to ensure there are no serious internal injuries.

7 Ensure the person gets treatment for visible external burns and if the person was unconscious, any of the senses have been affected.

8 Don’t move an injured child unless it’s absolutely essential. A strong electrical current could throw the victim into the air and cause seizures, which may lead to back, head and neck injuries. This is why the neck must always be immobilised.

9 Cover burn wounds with sterile gauze or a clean cloth.

- Betina Louw

Find Love!

Men
Women