'No Franziska, no bail': court protesters

By admin
05 April 2016

One of the four men arrested for the rape and murder of Tokai teenager Franziska Blöchliger, abandoned his bail application on Tuesday.

Outside the Wynberg Magistrate's Court supporters of the Blöchliger family held signs reading "No Franziska, no bail", and wore pins calling for her alleged attackers to remain behind bars.

Read more: Horrific details emerge in Tokai murder case

The legal representatives of the other three suspects asked for a postponement as DNA results were still outstanding.

Magistrate Hafiza Mohamed postponed the matter to 28 April.

The 16-year-old girl was found dead in Tokai Forest on March 7. She had arranged to meet her mother after going jogging in the popular recreational area by herself. When Franziska did not arrive at the agreed meeting place, the family began to worry.

She was later found strangled and raped. She had been robbed of her iPhone, watch, headset, and diamond ring.

The accused are understood to have been linked to the crime through witnesses and were found in possession of her belongings.

Read more: ‘Our daughter was ripped out of this world’: devastated parents of slain Tokai teen speak out

The State said it would oppose bail for all four accused. They face charges of murder, rape, and robbery with aggravating circumstances.

According to the charge sheet, three of the accused came from Westlake and one from Steenberg. They were aged between 21 and 32.

The Blöchliger family said after the teenager's murder that they would leave the country temporarily in an effort "to find inner peace".

News24

Find Love!

Men
Women