Prince Harry completes South Pole trek

By Kirstin Buick
16 December 2013

Britain's Prince Harry has completed his challenge to the South Pole today at midday, one day earlier than expected.

Britain's Prince Harry has completed his challenge to the South Pole today.

The 29-year-old royal and his team finished the 200-mile trek for the charity Walking With The Wounded at midday - one day ahead of schedule - after spending 13 days at sub-zero conditions.

The charity task was originally meant to be a competitive race between Harry's team - which consists of four wounded British servicemen and women - and teams from the United States and Commonwealth, but it was axed earlier this week due to hazardous weather conditions.

Ed Parker, the co-founder of the charity that organised the challenge, said: "We always knew that this wasn't going to be easy, but that is what makes the challenge so exciting.

"Our aim was to show that, despite injury, young men and women from our armed forces can still achieve great things.

"We came down here, determined to get 12 men and women, all injured in conflict, to the South Pole, and this is what we have done. The feeling is incredible."

Despite the -35 temperatures, Harry admitted on Wednesday that he was in "high spirits" and was pleased the three groups became one.

He said in a video blog: "Everyone is in really high spirits. The race obviously got cancelled a couple of days ago - a really good thing that has happened. It is nice to see everybody intermingling with each other, not only every night because we camp together but also during the day."

-Bang Showbiz

Find Love!

Men
Women