Rabies fears after couple finds decomposed bat in their prepackaged salad

By Nadim Nyker
10 April 2017

Not exactly what one wants to find in their "Organic Marketside Spring Mix"...

It's enough to make you swear off salad altogether!

A dead bat was recently discovered in a bag of salad in Florida, in the US -- and the worst part -- the two who found it were already eating the salad.

The disgusted duo alerted the police after finding the dead horseshoe bat in their "Organic Marketside Spring Mix", which they bought at a Wallmart supermarket.

The rodent was sent to the Center for Disease Control (CDC) to test for rabies, but the CDC could not carry out the necessary tests due to the bat's decayed state.


While the organisation said transmission of the disease by eating an infected animal is "extremely uncommon", the two were sent for treatment.

"Both people [are in] good health and neither has any signs of rabies," the CDC said.

Read more: Six-year-old schoolgirl Carlie second to die after Gauteng rabies outbreak

Fresh Express, the company who produces the salad, have since issued a limited recall for salads sold in a clear container with the best-before date of 14 April "out of an abundance of caution." They said customers who didn't find bats in their salad were not at risk, but could contact them for a full refund. Naturally, the news has prepackaged salad enthusiasts on Twitter in an uproar.

Have you ever found something seriously gross in your store-bought food? Tell us about it in a comment on our Facebook page.

Sources: The GuardianPRNewsWire, ABC, Miami Herald

Find Love!

Men
Women