SABC fires the striking Generations cast

By admin
18 August 2014

SABC and and MMSV productions weren't bluffing when they gave the Generations cast an ultimatum to get back on set or else -- the broadcaster and production company have fired ALL of the striking actors.

SABC and MMSV Productions weren't bluffing when they gave the Generations cast an ultimatum to get back on set or else -- the broadcaster and production company have fired ALL of the striking actors.

"MMSV Productions, following consultation with the South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC), have today terminated the contracts of the striking actors on the SABC1 soap drama, Generations," spokesman Kaizer Kganyago said in a statement.

"The termination follows calls by both parties for the actors to return for recordings, following the start of their illegal strike." The 16 cast members embarked on a strike this week. The Generations Actors Guild and the SABC have been at loggerheads for almost a year over contract issues and wage disputes. The actors refused to show up on set until their demands -- outlined in an open letter to their fans earlier today -- were met.

Despite the show being the most popular in South Africa, the cast is paid rates well below what is understood to be the industry norm, the actors said.

"There has been a great deal of talk from the SABC that we want to be paid extravagant salaries, this is simply not true. Our actor colleagues on the same platform, SABC, are paid at much better rates, so it is possible."

They said when they embarked on a strike in October last year, they proposed a set of rates that they should be paid.

In November 2013, MMSV Productions agreed to meet these rates, provided the SABC would also support the proposed normalisation of salaries, the actors said.

The SABC responded that they would like some time to review the proposed rates, and would revert in March 2014. The SABC kept extending the deadlines for a response.

"When the July deadline elapsed, there was no communication from them as to the outcome of their deliberations. When we enquired, we received no response."

"It became clear to us that their requests for extensions were merely a delaying tactic, and there had never been an intention, as promised, to review the salary scales."

Kganyago said the SABC and MMSV Production had put measures in place to ensure the future of Generations.

Some of the lead actors who have been fired included Menzi Ngubane, who plays the character of ruthless businessman Sbusiso Dlomo, Nambitha Mpumlwana (Mawande), Patrick Shai (Patrick Tlaole), Sophie Ndaba (Queen Ndaba), Seputla Sebogodi (Kenneth Mashaba), Winnie Ntshaba (Khetiwe Buthelezi) and Katlego Danke (Dineo Dlomo).

“The actors have not received any letters of termination,” a lawyer representing the actors, Bulelani Mzamo, told the Mail & Guardian on Monday.

SAPA

Find Love!

Men
Women