Springs 'monster' appears in court after keeping his family captive for years

By Kirstin Buick
28 May 2014

A man accused of assaulting and keeping his wife and five children captive in his Springs home appeared in the Springs Magistrate's Court on Wednesday, Gauteng police said.

The man (36) was kept in custody and the matter was postponed to June 4, police investigator Rudi Jansen said.

He said he was not in a position to give any further information related to the case.

According to a report in Beeld the businessman allegedly tortured his wife and his five children. The neighbours had no idea the man, who always looked smart and tidy, had any children.

The children between the ages of 2 and 16 were not allowed to leave the house and didn't go to school. An 11-year-old boy managed to escape the house last week Monday and fled to a nearby home. The neighbours then called the police.

A visit from police the next day revealed the house was filthy and rat-infested and the wife and children showed signs of having been abused. The man was arrested last Thursday. One woman told Beeld said she was shocked that she had lived next door to a "monster" for years. Johan du Preez, the regional control prosecutor, said the man's next appearance would be for a bail application.

'The name of the man cannot be revealed for the sake of the children'
Lt-Col Lungelo Dlamini said: "The name of the man cannot be revealed for the sake of the children." News agency Agence France-Presse reported that the court ordered the man not be named to protect the children. "He is being charged with assault and kidnapping. His wife was in the house when he was arrested but she is one of the alleged victims." Police were investigating.

- Kirstin Buick & Sapa

Find Love!

Men
Women