Teen dies after drinking caffè latte, diet cooldrink and energy drink within less than two hours

By Pam Magwaza
17 May 2017

"It wasn't a car crash that took his life, instead, it was an energy drink."

A US teen's dad has warned parents of the dangers of energy drinks, after his son died from 'chugging' one of the caffeinated beverages, plus a coffee and a cool drink.

High school pupil, Davis Allen Cripe died after drinking a large diet Moutain Dew cooldrink, a caffè latte from McDonald's and an energy drink -- all within the space of two hours.

The 16-year-old from South Carolina in the US was in class at school when he suddenly passed out last month.

He was rushed to hospital, where he died an hour later.

Autopsy results, which were released this week, revealed that the teenager died as a result of a "caffeine-induced cardiac event causing a probable arrhythmia" -- or irregular heartbeat.

throwback of the century bois

A post shared by davis cripe (@pinksicle) on

"This is not a caffeine overdose," Richland County Coroner Gary Watts said during a press conference.

"We're not saying that it was the total amount of caffeine in the system, it was just the way that it was ingested over that short period of time, and the chugging of the energy drink at the end was what the issue was with the cardiac arrhythmia."

"The biggest cause of the tragedy was that it was said by a witness that he slammed or chugged the regular-sized energy drink 15 minutes before he passed out."

"That was the biggest issue, how he consumed that energy drink," Watts said, adding that it was not clear which brand of energy drink the young man had consumed.

what a dude. it was awesome getting a lesson from one of the chillest drummers in the game, thanks matt A post shared by davis cripe (@pinksicle) on

Davis' family is devastated by the passing of their son.

"I stand before you as a brokenhearted father and hope that something good can come from this," his father Sean Cripe said.

"It wasn't a car crash that took his life," Sean said. "Instead, it was an energy drink."

He then warned all parents about the dangers of their children having caffeine.

"Parents please talk to your kids about the danger of these energy drinks," Sean added. "And teenagers and students, please don’t buy them. There's no reason to consume them. They can be very dangerous."

Sources: Buzzfeed, Metro.uk, NBC Network

Find Love!

Men
Women