Teen dies of alcohol poisoning after parents ‘teach him lesson’ about dangers of drinking

By Samantha Luiz
17 September 2015

A Wyoming couple has been arrested and charged with involuntary manslaughter after their 16-year-old son died of alcohol poisoning. The pair had allegedly forced the teenager to consume numerous mixed drinks and shots to teach him a lesson about the dangers of alcohol.

According to court documents, Kendall Ball’s mother, Paulette Richardson, and stepfather, Joseph Richardson, wanted to “teach him a lesson” because he “wanted to drink so bad” for the past few years.

Paulette also told the police that her son’s biological father was an alcoholic, and she feared he would end up the same.

So the couple served Kendall drinks that included beer and “a few shots of Fireball and a few shots of Jack Daniel’s”. It was all done to “teach a lesson about alcohol and get [Kendall] sick.”

The teen showed no signs of alcohol poisoning when she first checked up on him at 11pm.

But it became clear that all was not well when Joseph checked up on him a few hours later.

Kendall was not responding and his “lips and eyelids were dark blue,” with dark fluid coming out of his mouth.

'I am not here to make parenting decisions for people'

According to the autopsy, the teenager died due to “complications of acute alcohol poisoning,” with a blood-alcohol level of .587 –seven times the legal driving limit.

The court documents also revealed that Kendall took medicine for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, whose label warned users to limit alcohol intake.

Joseph and Paulette Richardson are now facing 20 years in prison.

"I am not here to make parenting decisions for people," said Uinta County Attorney Loretta Gerrard.

"What I hope people understand, however, is that some traditional parenting lore, wives tales or theories don't apply in an age where we have refined products that accelerate the effect of chemicals on the human body."

Sources: nydailynews.com, news.yahoo.com

Find Love!

Men
Women