Temporary henna tattoo leaves teen with severe burns

By Samantha Luiz
20 August 2015

A British teenager has been left scarred for life after a temporary henna tattoo she received while on vacation went horribly wrong.

Sixteen-year-old Mary Bates got a 'black henna' tattoo of a dreamcatcher above her left ankle while she was holidaying in Turkey. About a week later, Mary has the temporary tattoo retouched, but to her horror it began to seep and swell. When she got home, she went to a doctor who told her she needed treatment for burns.

'Bits of my skin were coming off'

“Bits of my skin were coming off it was just disgusting as it looked like open flesh,” said Mary. “The burns doctors said it was the worst black henna injury they had ever seen.” After a series of tests, doctors determined the tattoo’s ink involved a chemical called paraphenylenediamine (PPD), typically found in hair dye.

The skin on Mary’s leg will remain scarred for the rest of her life.

Mary, an aspiring model, plans on studying theatrical hair and makeup, as well as photography, in college.

“Hopefully, I will be able to cover up my scar if I get good enough at it.”

Sources: telegraph.co.uk, elitedaily.com

Find Love!

Men
Women