Watch: The State explains their case against Henri van Breda

By Mieke Vlok
09 September 2016

"We know that the accused inflicted some artificial wounds on himself," the NPA's spokesperson said.

It's indisputable that the Van Breda victims died from multiple axe-inflicted head wounds in their home at De Zalze Estate in Stellenbosch in January last year.

So said the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) after axe-murder accused Henri van Breda appeared in the Western Cape High Court for his pre-trial hearing on 9 September.

Scroll down for video

The NPA's Eric Ntabazalila explained the State's case against 21-year-old Henri, who they allege brutally murdered his parents Martin (54) and Teresa (55), and his brother Rudi (22) in their home on the luxury golf estate in the early hours of Tuesday, January 27, 2015.

Marli van Breda (17) survived the attack, but sustained serious brain injuries. She is on the list of State witnesses expected to testify against Henri.

"We know that the accused inflicted some artificial wounds on himself and provided some false information to the police," Ntabazalila said.

Click here for more on what's next for Henri

Triple-murder accused Henri's pre-trial was postponed until 18 November this year, after the State told the court they have not yet finished their investigation.

A pre-trial conference is held before the actual trial, where the prosecution and the defence meet in front of the presiding officer – in this case the judge – to have a preliminary meeting.

During this conference, issues like what evidence will be admissible in court are discussed to ensure that court proceedings during the actual trial can move swiftly.

Henri's trial is scheduled for 6 February 2017

Read more: Van Breda axe murders: everything that’s happened so far

Find Love!

Men
Women