'Why didn't Oscar just let her walk away?'

By admin
24 August 2015

Ten months behind bars is not enough for the man who killed their daughter, June and Barry Steenkamp said in an interview over the weekend.

In an interview with Australia's Channel Seven Sunday Night programme, June told the broadcaster: "How can it be for the life of my daughter... 10 months be enough? He killed her, he admits he killed her, she's dead, after making sure that she was dead. Why didn't he let her just walk away? Why?"
'What actually came out in court is not the truth'

Asked if Reeva Steenkamp's bag was packed the night she was killed in February 2013, June said "Yes".

In the same interview, Barry said he did not believe what was said during Oscar Pistorius's trial.

"What actually came out in court is not the truth. We know what we heard there is not right," he told the broadcaster.

He is reported to have said that people heard screams and when Pistorius realised what had happened, "he couldn't stop".

"He [Pistorius] had to carry on until it was finished," Barry said.

With Pistorius's parole having been suspended last week, the Steenkamps say they will let the justice system run its course.

"It is not finished - not finished by a long way - and I can only give you my feelings after the final verdict," he said.

June said the death of their daughter had ruined their lives, something she wanted to tell Pistorius face-to-face one day when they were ready.

"All I want you [Pistorius] to realise is that you have ruined our lives. You've taken her life, her possible marriage, of having a baby - our grandchild," June told the broadcaster.

"You've taken her career away... You've taken the most precious thing out of our lives."

Oscar parole suspended

On Wednesday, it was announced that the June 5 decision to release Pistorius on correctional supervision on August 21 was made prematurely.

On Thursday morning, justice and correctional services department spokesperson Mthunzi Mhaga said notice of a legal challenge to the suspension of Pistorius's early release had not yet been received by the department.

This meant Pistorius could wait up to four months to hear if he would eventually be released on correctional supervision.

“The board has four months within which to deal and decide on the matter,” said Mhaga.

Pistorius was set to have been released on Friday, after serving 10 months of his five-year sentence for the culpable homicide of Steenkamp.

A three-year sentence for discharging a firearm in a restaurant in Melrose was suspended for five years.

Pistorius was charged with murder, but was found guilty of culpable homicide. The Gauteng Directorate of Public Prosecutions has filed an appeal against Pistorius's culpable homicide conviction in the Supreme Court of Appeal. This is expected to be heard in November.

News24

Find Love!

Men
Women