Johannesburg’s mayoral committee. (News24)
Johannesburg - The members of Johannesburg’s newly-appointed mayoral committee are not Mayor Herman Mashaba’s friends, he said on Friday.
“These people before me are not my friends. They are the best team to take the city of Johannesburg forward,” Mashaba told reporters at the Johannesburg Theatre.
Mashaba, who was celebrating his 57th birthday, was sworn in by Gauteng Judge President Dunstan Mlambo before delivering a short speech. He then named his committee.
Much thought had gone into assembling the 10-member team and political considerations were also a factor. The individuals he had chosen possessed an abundance of skills and knowledge. They included three doctors, a professor, and a community activist in a racially and gender diverse group, he said.
All are from the Democratic Alliance, except for transport and housing, who are Inkatha Freedom Party members.
- Housing: Mzobanzi Ntuli
- Transport Nonhlanhla: Helen Makhuba
- Economic Development: Sharon Peetz
- Environment and Infrastructure Services: Anthony Still
- Development planning: Funzela Ngubeni
- Community Development: Nonhlanhla Sifumba
- Health and Social Development: Mpho Phalatse
- Public Safety: Michael Son
- Finance: Rabelani Dagada
- Corporate and Shared Services: Valencia Khumalo.