200 Somali refugees in Kenya are blocked from going to US

2017-01-30 21:48
(File : AP)

(File : AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Nairobi - A Somali refugee says more than 200 refugees heading to the US for resettlement have been told they cannot travel as a result of President Donald Trump's executive orders that temporarily suspend all immigration of citizens from seven majority-Muslim countries.

Suleiman Yusuf, a teacher, said on Monday that the 200 left a refugee camp in eastern Kenya last week but they have been told by the International Organization for Migration that their Monday flights have been cancelled "because of Trump's orders."

The United Nations refugee agency media officer Yvonne Ndege said on Monday that about 13 000 Somali refugees have been interviewed and approved by the United States Citizen and Immigration Services but whose resettlement has now been affected by the new order.

NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
Most Read
News In Your Area
Top Lifestyle
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.