8 die in Nigeria from toxic fumes inhalation

2015-07-26 09:53
Highly toxic by Shutterstock

Highly toxic by Shutterstock

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Kan - Eight people died from inhaling toxic fumes on Saturday and some 100 others were hospitalised after an accidental blast hit a water treatment plant near Jos in central Nigeria, local officials said.

A barrel of chlorine exploded in the Dogon Karfe plant in the south of Jos, releasing toxic chlorine vapour, regional spokesperson Samuel Emmanuel Nanle said in a statement.

Governor Simon Lalong expressed his sympathy with the families of the eight victims, and wished the 101 survivors who were being treated in hospital a speedy recovery, the statement added.

The circumstances of the blast remain unclear though measures have been taken to "guard against future reoccurrence" of the incident, Nanle said.

The accident has not affected the water supply in the area, the statement said, adding that water from the mains remained "safe for human consumption".

Read more on:    nigeria  |  west africa  |  health

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.