Al-Qaeda attacks UN base in Somalia

2013-06-19 17:00

Mogadishu - Al-Qaeda linked militants detonated several bombs and breached the main UN compound in Somalia's capital on Wednesday, sparking gun battles that killed at least 12 people. A UN official said at least three foreign and one Somali staff members were believed to be among the dead.

The attack comes only six months after the United Nations expanded its presence in Mogadishu, where it had kept only a small operation because Islamic insurgents had controlled much of the capital until being pushed out in an offensive in 2011.

Al-Shabaab said on its Twitter feed shortly after Wednesday's attack began that its fighters "are now in control of the entire compound and the battle is still ongoing."

African Union and Somali security forces responded and took control of the compound about an hour later. The UN staff who sought refuge in the bunker then were evacuated to the secure military base and airport complex across the street, Parker said.

A UN official, who insisted on anonymity because he was not an official spokesman, said he believed three foreigners were killed: one Kenyan and two South Africans.

"There was not very much time to get into the safe area," said another UN official, Ben Parker, a spokesperson for the United Nations Assistance Mission in Somalia.

The top UN official on Somalia, Nicholas Kay, also works out of the building but was not inside the compound when it was attacked.

At 11:30 the compound was rocked by the first explosion. At least two others followed, Parker said. Dozens of staff from UN humanitarian and development agencies were in the compound and many were moved to the secure bunker, he said.

Mohamed Ali, an ambulance driver, said he transported five dead civilian bodies and 10 people who were wounded.

Wearing Somali uniforms

An Associated Press reporter who went inside the UN compound after the battle saw two dead bodies of what appeared to be al-Shabaab attackers wearing Somali military uniforms. An official said seven attackers died in total.

Somali Prime Minister Abdi Farah Shirdon said he is appalled that "our friends and partners" at the UN who are carrying out humanitarian activities would be the victims "of such barbaric violence." An African Union official, Mahamet Saleh Annadif, condemned the "cowardly" attack and sent condolences "to those who had lost loved ones."

The UN has had only a small presence in Mogadishu in recent years. In December, though, UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon touched down in Mogadishu wearing a bullet proof jacket to announce a return of the UN's political office to the seaside capital.

That security measure was necessary because of al-Shabaab, the al-Qaeda linked militant group.

One of the three blasts included a car bomb that largely blew down the compound's front gate. Inside walls were scarred with bullet marks.

The attacked compound just across the street from the secure airport complex, where UN-backed African Union military forces are based. The UN compound is used by agencies like Unicef, WHO and UNDP.

Mogadishu fell into anarchy in 1991 and is just beginning to move past years of sustained conflict. The UN and foreign embassies were absent from Mogadishu for close to two decades.


African Union forces pushed al-Shabaab out of Mogadishu in August 2011, meaning residents didn't have to live through daily battles for the first time in years.

An international presence slowly began to return and the UN began the process of moving its personnel from the nearby capital of Nairobi, Kenya, back to Mogadishu, a process that has accelerated in recent weeks.

International embassies - from Turkey and Britain, for example - followed. Wednesday's attack underscores the fragile security situation and will force the UN and embassies to review their safety plans and decide if they have enough defenses to withstand a sustained al-Shabaab assault.

Fadumo Hussein, a shopkeeper who was sitting inside her shop near the scene of the attack, described a narrow escape.

"It started with an earsplitting explosion, followed by heavy gunfire," she said, showing holes made by bullets on her shop. "I crouched and then crawled like an animal. I am very lucky. It was a shocking moment."

  • Peloyagwe KB - 2013-06-19 18:40

    A number of south africans killed in pursued of peace is increasing, it is only a matter of time before the terror comes into our shores and the signs are there. I hope our dear leaders are aware of this and will be proactive and instead of being reactive. Cry my beloved peaceful south africa.

      truthbetold221 - 2013-06-19 19:05

      Don't you think it's strange that our president builds himself a security base in Nkandla then South Africans start getting killed almost immediately he completes construction? Makes you think doesn't it?

  • pages:
  • 1