Guinea braces for fresh protests

2015-04-20 16:28

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Conakry - Guinean security forces took to the streets in huge numbers on Monday as the capital braced for fresh anti-government protests following deadly clashes between opposition activists and police last week.

The protesters, who are calling for a disputed election timetable to be scrapped, were due to march on the Conakry headquarters of Guinea's electoral commission.

The building was protected by an elite unit of the national police force equipped with batons, helmets and tear gas.

Conakry governor Soriba Sorel Camara said in a statement read out on state television that he expected that the Guinean opposition would be "throwing stones, dumping garbage and burning tyres on public roads".

He called on residents of the city of two million people to "go about their usual activities" and said the state would "take all measures" to ensure their safety and secure their property.

Precautions

The main highway into central Conakry, usually choked with traffic, was almost deserted while shops, petrol stations and schools remained closed.

Elsewhere traffic was moving slowly as motorists were diverted to avoid areas where violence has broken out in recent protests.

"We have to take precautions because the country is no longer safe. Every day there are demonstrations, violence in the capital," said Macire Camara, a stallholder in the Kaloum business district.

"And if in the coming week it spreads across the country, we should be afraid."

A Guinean government delegation headed by justice minister Cheick Sako met opposition leader Cellou Dalein Diallo at his home for talks on Sunday.

"This step was intended to reiterate to the opposition the government's willingness to revive the dialogue - the only route that ends with a calmer political climate and inclusive elections," a statement from the delegation said.

'The country will suffer'

Diallo confirmed he had received the group of senior officials but emphasised that cancelling protests planned for Monday was "out of the question" without the guaranteed implementation of a 2013 agreement stipulating that local elections take place before a presidential contest.

Supporters of Diallo's Union of Democratic Forces of Guinea have protested over the electoral timetable, which they claim has been pushed through without consultation and gives the ruling party an unfair advantage.

They are also angry about the fragile security situation in the west African nation, which they blame on President Alpha Conde's government.

Hundreds of youths hurled stones at police who responded with tear gas and warning shots in two days of violence on 13 and 14 April, bringing traffic to a standstill on a main highway into central Conakry.

The opposition said three people were killed, including an unidentified young girl, and 50 wounded -- at least 12 by gunfire - during the clashes. The government put the number of dead at two, with "dozens" injured.

"We ask and even beg the government and the opposition to find a compromise to prevent our children a lost year, but if each party continues to flex its muscles, it's the country that will suffer," teacher Abdul Majid Barry told AFP.

The meeting between Diallo and the delegation took place just hours after the funeral of one of the opposition protesters killed last week.

The opposition has accused Conde of using the Ebola epidemic as an excuse to postpone voting and has called on supporters to back its demand to bring forward local elections due in March next year.

Read more on:    alpha conde  |  guinea  |  west africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/Africa
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.