Ivory Coast lets US company expore for oil in disputed area

2015-09-04 17:00
(Picture: AP)

(Picture: AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Abidjan - Ivory Coast has concluded an agreement with the US oil company Anadarko to explore for oil in an area disputed with neighbouring Ghana.

The production sharing agreement for a deepwater block of 1 038km2 foresees at least $30m invested in exploration that should get under way in December, according to a government statement received on Friday.

Anadarko has 90% of the block and Ivory Coast's national oil company Petroci the remaining 10%.

The block is in an area disputed with Ghana, a promising area where several oil companies including Total, Lukoil and Tullow Oil have reported significant finds.

Ghana and Ivory Coast disagree over their maritime border, which runs through the promising area.

Ivory Coast has taken the case to the International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea, which told Ghana to limit its activity in the area until a ruling is handed down.

With a modest output of 40 000 barrels per day, Ivory Coast has been keen to step up exploration.

Ghana launched production in 2010 after the discovery of what has been called the most important offshore oil discovery in the region in a decade.


Read more on:    ivory coast  |  us  |  oil  |  west africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.