Kenya officials suspended over massacre

2015-04-21 22:35


Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Nairobi - Nine Kenyan security officials from Garissa have been suspended and could face charges of criminal negligence over the massacre at the town's university earlier this month, the government announced on Tuesday.

Militants from Somalia's al-Qaeda-linked Shabaab rebels attacked the university in the northeastern town of Garissa on April 2, lining up non-Muslim students for execution and killing 148 people.

Kenya interior minister, Joseph Nkaissery, said a preliminary investigation into the response to the attack signalled that the officials, among them senior police officers, had failed to mobilise ahead of the attack despite intelligence warnings.

"I take this opportunity to warn all officers bestowed with the responsibility for the management of security across the country. Each will be held accountable for any acts of omission that endangers the lives and property of Kenyans," the minister told reporters.

"This investigation is starting immediately," he added, saying that the officials would be formally charged if there is evidence of negligence.

The Kenyan government and the country's notoriously corrupt security forces have come in for renewed criticism following the massacre, with Kenyan media alleging that warnings were ignored and response times by special forces were slow.

Nkaissery, however, played down a controversy surrounding the use of a special police plane to transport the family of a senior police official back from their holiday on the coast on the day of the attack.

According to local media reports, elite anti-terror police had to wait several hours for the plane to pick them up from Nairobi for the Garissa mission.

But the interior minister insisted the plane was in the coastal region anyway on "an official training mission, and on its way back it gave a lift to the family" of the police air wing commander. He said this was authorised and did not affect the massacre response time.

The Garissa massacre was Kenya's deadliest attack since the 1998 bombing of the US embassy in Nairobi.

Read more on:    kenya  |  east africa  |  garissa attack

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.