Pressure mounts on Kenya president

2015-04-08 21:26


Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Nairobi - Political pressure mounted on Kenya's president on Wednesday with scathing editorials and growing anger at a seven hour delay in the deployment of a special forces unit that eventually ended the bloody siege at Garissa University last week.

The al-Qaeda aligned al-Shabaab group has now killed more than 400 people in Kenya since President Uhuru Kenyatta took office in April 2013, denting the east African nation's image abroad and severely damaging its vital tourism industry.

The pre-dawn attack on the college, 200km from the Somali border, came a day after Kenyatta berated Britain and Australia for issuing travel advisories, saying their security warnings were "not genuine".

However, Kenyan media, some of them owned by Kenyatta's family, are becoming increasingly critical of the president and government efforts to stop future attacks, drawing comparisons to al-Shabaab's assault on Nairobi's Westgate mall, where the Islamists killed 67 people during a four day siege in 2013.

In a front page editorial entitled "If Westgate was a disaster, what do you call Garissa?" Kenya's biggest-selling Daily Nation newspaper singled out Kenyatta for not meeting the grieving families.

"In Kenya, your child ... is slaughtered, but a little time can't be found in busy diaries for the leader you elected to come and look you in your teary eyes and assure you that he did his best, that the death of your son or daughter has not been in vain, that he feels your pain," it said.

The Standard newspaper rounded on the government for its staunch defence of the security response to the deadliest attack in Kenya since 1998, when al-Qaeda bombed the US embassy, killing more than 200 people.

"It is ... morally irresponsible for the government's PR machine to go into overdrive after what everyone acknowledges was a lamentable response," it said.

Even after the editorial, the government once again defended its handling of the atrocity, in which 148 people were killed.

"We commend our security agencies for responding promptly and launching rescue operations and saving lives," Defence Minister Rachel Omamo told reporters.

Hollow rhetoric

Diplomats dismissed Kenyatta's pledges to improve security as hollow rhetoric.

"There is no strategy," one senior Western envoy said. "It's like an air stewardess saying there is absolutely nothing to worry about but in fact there is no one in the cockpit."

Even though Kenyatta's position is not under threat in a country where tribal allegiances trump most issues, public trust in the state's ability to protect its citizens is wavering.

The anger stems largely from revelations that journalists and politicians from Nairobi arrived at Garissa before the crack Recce police unit, which was delayed at a Nairobi airport for seven hours.

As the four al-Shabaab fighters tossed grenades and sprayed bullets at cowering students, the US and Israeli-trained Recce commandos were unable to find a plane to fly them to Garissa, media reported.

Asman Kamama, lawmaker and chair of the National Security Committee, questioned why Interior Minister Joseph Nkaissary flew to Garissa soon after the 05:30 raid began while the Recce squad, trained specifically for such incidents, was left behind.

"In future, we will not entertain this," he told Citizen TV.

Once the Recce squad went in, they ended the siege in half an hour. To the fury of Kenyans, their assault began about 12 hours after al-Shabaab fighters shot their way into the college.

Call home before death

Survivors who hid under beds and inside cupboards have since recounted how gunmen hunted down fellow students and toyed with them for hours, forcing them to call their parents before executing them.

"I'm angry because maybe if they were there on time, my brother would still be alive," said Alice Iyese, 34, waiting at the Nairobi mortuary to collect her 22-year-old brother's body.

Once the Garissa raid had been declared a "terrorist" attack, local police and soldiers from a nearby garrison could only set up a perimeter and wait at a safe distance, one government source involved in the response said.

"If there had been a quicker response, the death toll would not have been so high," the official told Reuters, adding that the whole chain of command was "not well co-ordinated".

One Garissa-based policeman said a lack of bullet-proof vests meant officers at the scene had little choice but to wait.

"The Recce squad have all these but they came in very late, after much of the damage had already been done," the officer said.

Read more on:    al-shabaab  |  uhuru kenyatta  |  kenya  |  east africa  |  garissa attack
NEXT ON NEWS24X publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.