News24

Suspect in Libya consulate attack 'killed'

2012-10-25 10:23

Cairo - An Egyptian security official says a local militant suspected of involvement in the attack on the US consulate in Libya has been killed in clashes in Cairo.

The official says the man, known only by his first name, Hazem, recently returned from Libya.

The official, who spoke on Wednesday on condition of anonymity because he was not authorised to brief reporters, said an investigation into the man's possible involvement in the attack is under way.

This is the first time an Egyptian has been declared as a suspect in the attack on the Benghazi consulate last month, when the US ambassador and three other Americans were killed.

The official said the suspect attacked approaching Egyptian forces and was killed. He kept weapons in his hideout, the official said.

Comments
  • sisie.indola - 2012-10-25 12:32

    Very convenient!

  • pages:
  • 1