News24

Zim 'may be helping Moz crush Renamo'

2013-04-15 09:43

Harare – At least 100 Mozambican troops have graduated after completing intensive training in Zimbabwe, amid reports that Mozambique is facing a threat from former rebels, Renamo.

The Mozambican military troops graduated on Friday at the Zimbabwe Military Academy in Gweru after receiving training at several military bases dotted across the country.

The training course content included foot and arms drill, physical training, section and platoon battle drills, battle procedure, low intensity operations and conventional warfare.

Mozambique is faced with a threat from Renamo rebels who are training in preparation for "war" after demanding a re-negotiation of the 1992 peace agreement.

Zimbabwe last week said it was closely monitoring the situation in Mozambique following reports of growing signs of a civil war breaking out in that country.

The Zimbabwe National Army Commander Lieutenant General Phillip Valerio Sibanda who officiated at the graduation ceremony said the two countries shared a strong military relationship that dated back to the days of "our liberation" struggle and also during the Mozambican disturbances in the early 1980s.

Strong bond

Zimbabwe deployed thousands of combat troops and heavy artillery to shore up the Mozambican army during the armed conflict with Renamo.

The Commander of the Mozambican Navy Rear Admiral Lazaro Mienete thanked Zimbabwe for training their officers and said efforts should be made to continuously hold joint military training programmes.

"The officers you have trained and are graduating today have an important role to play back home," he said.

"We share a strong bond with Zimbabwe and this relationship dates back to the days of Zimbabwe's liberation struggle and Mozambican disturbances in the 1980s."

Dormant since October 1992 when the government and Renamo signed a truce, the animosities were rekindled last week when attacks on police and civilians resurfaced in central Sofala province.

An escalation of violence in Mozambique would have a serious domino effect on Zimbabwe's shaky economy.

The landlocked country is currently importing 90% of its fuel requirements through Mozambique via the 287km Beira-Feruka oil pipeline. - CAJ News

 

Comments
  • Karl Klopjag - 2013-04-15 09:58

    Crash? Or crush?

      swart.vart - 2013-04-15 12:09

      If Moz is relying on Zim for officer training, then Renamo has already won. The only effective training Zim can give Moz is how to use slave labour to mine diamonds....... If I remember correctly during the "peace talks" Mugabe was too scared to be in the same room as the Renamo leader because of the death threats. It took certain guarantees from Tiny Rowland before Mugabe agreed to talk peace.

      Jack Canes - 2013-04-15 12:36

      @Swart Vart That could be a fine liar to yourself sir... Go through military journals and you will see how the Zim military fared in the Mozambican bush. Zim actually insisted on a military option to end the Renamo while other players sought dialogue.

      Jack Canes - 2013-04-15 13:02

      @Swart Vart: 1. Was it not Zimbabwe that crushed Renamo and took over their main military base ( Gorongoza) 2. At the loss of Gorongoza, was Dhlakama not found running away on a motorbike? 3. The loss of central command and position by Renamo, was it not due to the Zimbabwean involvement I see my more previous response to you was removed by news24. It had quotes from the military journals

  • Joao Cabrita - 2013-04-15 14:20

    Jack Canes: the fact that ZNA stormed Renamo's Casa Banana military complex in 1985, it did not mean that Renamo was crushed. Althoug ZNA's intervention signaled a new trend in the counterinsurgency campaign, Renamo survived and you will recall that the war carried on until 1992 when a peace accord was finally signed in Rome. Renamo remained in the area right up to the end of the war and thereafter. Frelimo would not have bothered to go to Rome, let alone sign the peace accord if Renamo had been defeated. By then, ZNA had agreed to be confined to a restricted area along the Beira and Limpopo corridors as part of a deal brokered by Lonrho and the British Government. Dhlakama vacated Casa Banana ahead of the raid, after being alerted by his base at Muxamba (south of the Beira corridor) that a major offensive was in full swing. ZNA’s Fireforce killed in the region of 200 people, including guerrillas and civilians at Muxamba as they were vacating the base. The raid on Casa Banana was planned and executed by former Rhodesia SAS personnel, notably Dudley Coventry and Lionel Dyke otherwise known as "The Duke", who, subsequently conducted a scorched earth campaign, provoking a wave of displaced villagers and famine. Renamo had to survive with foodstuffs ferried from the Province of Zambézia across the Zambeze River.

      Jack Canes - 2013-04-15 16:46

      1. As long as "The Duke" was wearing a ZNA uniform, what would be the problem with that? I'm sure SANDF does have old pre-94 hands as well. The same strength was also to be found in the DRC campaign. Give the ZNA its bottle of Bells if their entry into the war can cause such damage. That is what they are paid to do. 2. The restriction to the Beira Corridor was agreed on by the ZNA on the premise of the validity of their entry into a domestic war. At that point in time the Zim-Moz Military Pact had not been formaly settled. Mind you it was actually signed in 1994 as part of the larger alliance with Namibia and Angola. 3. The only way Renamo survived post that period was as dispersed bandits Quite ironic that because those commands into Moz had joint black and white officers you would want to discount them.. Well unfortunately from your side of the fence, the officer strenght and depth of ZNA has indeed deepened. Kindly go through the ZNA General Staff and Command and discover the war experience in there.. And also the variety (Africa, Asia, Middle East war exposures)

      Mugo Mudzi - 2013-04-17 10:39

      @ Jack Canes & Joa.Thank you for the hearty and informative debate which did not digenerate into nonsense like most of the debates on these forums which are fueled by race and xenophobia. For the first time, people are actually semi referencing their points, impressive. I read all your comments and enjoyed it.

  • Aubrey Kloppers - 2013-04-15 16:52

    I have tried to find the origin of the CAJ NEWS report, but NOTHING!!! It "seems" more and more reports from News24 is purely for the "shock" aspect... NEWS24, get your story straight!

      Jack Canes - 2013-04-15 17:19

      The original story came from http://www.herald.co.zw/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=74303:100-mozambican-soldiers-graduate&catid=38:local-news&Itemid=131#.UWwaqLX-FWg CAJ actually edited the story

  • Vimbai Makaza - 2013-04-15 17:38

    Zimbabwe is the only fearless country in SADC...SANDF lost 13 soldiers in CAR and did nothing about that, but if it was Zim, i tell you,those rebels would be seeing flames as we are talking.

  • Joao Cabrita - 2013-04-15 18:15

    Jack Canes, don't misunderstand me. I did not question The Duke’s right to shift allegiance from RLI to ZNA, nor Coventry’s decision to subsequently hunt down those he had trained at Odzi. I merely wanted to illustrate the fact that the new trend in counterinsurgency faced by Renamo after the Zimbabwe intervention owed much to the Fireforce concept that the Rhodesians used in their war. And I don’t question your right either to recommend that those who slaughtered civilians at Muxamba, displaced villagers and provoked famine in central Mozambique should go the night out blowing all their cash on booze. With or without military pact before 1994, the fact remains that ZNA units, including the 5th Brigade intervened in the Mozambique civil war from 1981 onwards. It would be interesting to establish whether the 5th Brigade’s wholesale slaughter of villagers in Matabeleland went down with Scotch; Vinho Verde, perhaps? Dispersed bandits? But is that not what guerrilla warfare is all about? Again, your assertion doesn’t match the reality on the ground: Renamo’s HQ remained in the Gorongosa area right to the end of the war, and its provincial and sector bases were like sitting ducks. Indeed, Renamo’s survival owed a lot to a fatigued, unmotivated, inadequately trained and underpaid FAM-FPLM, and a logistics that left much to be desired and which explains much of the ambushes on civilian traffic along the country’s highways during the war, afterwards the blame pinned on Renamo.

      Jack Canes - 2013-04-15 18:53

      Point of correction: The 5th Brigade as a unit were only deployed only within Zim given their political idealogy and the nature of the military training they were given. They were formed in 1981 and disbanded in 1988. They were something close to a militia in formal army structures.. Obviously elements from within it would be moved to other units after disbandment.

  • Amos Calima - 2013-04-15 22:53

    We know that last time zim made a history @ Gorongoza, we need peace and development in africa.

  • pages:
  • 1