After US cuts, delays aid to Egypt, Kushner snubbed in Cairo

2017-08-23 19:09
(AP Photo/Evan Vucci, File)

(AP Photo/Evan Vucci, File)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Cairo - White House adviser Jared Kushner and visiting US officials have been snubbed by the Foreign Ministry in Cairo in apparent protest over a US cut in aid to Egypt.

The ministry says the country's top diplomat, Sameh Shoukry, cancelled his meeting with Kushner and the others, which had been scheduled for later on Wednesday. The US delegation is in Cairo as part of a Mideast tour to press Israeli-Palestinian peace efforts.

The gesture comes after the Trump administration on Tuesday cut nearly $100m in military and economic aid to Egypt and delayed almost $200m more in military financing, pending human rights improvements and action to ease harsh restrictions on civic and other non-governmental groups.

A government statement says the American delegation will still meet with President Abdel-Fattah al-Sisi.

Read more on:    abdel fattah al sisi  |  egypt  |  us  |  north africa
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.