Alarm as Red Cross workers attacked in DRC Ebola efforts

2018-10-04 18:31
Ebola ( File, iStock)

Ebola ( File, iStock)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

The international community is sounding new alarm after three Red Cross workers were attacked while trying to contain the latest deadly Ebola outbreak in Democratic Republic of Congo.

The UN Security Council has called for an immediate end to hostilities as it leaves for a DRC visit on Thursday. Human Rights Watch urges an investigation into massacres that have killed well over 200 civilians this year in and around Beni, where health workers' Ebola efforts are based.

Two of the Red Cross workers were seriously wounded on Tuesday when community members attacked them while they were carrying out safe Ebola burials in the northeastern city of Butembo, according to the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies.

It was the most violent attack on Red Cross workers in this outbreak, the organisation said in a statement. In September, a Red Cross volunteer was injured when people threw stones at a vehicle transporting a burial team.

"While we categorically denounce the attack on our colleagues, we understand the fear and frustration that many communities in North Kivu feel right now," said Dr Fatoumata Nafo-Traore, IFRC regional director for Africa. "People are scared and there are many rumours circulating that only serve to heighten the sense of fear and distrust."

This is the first time this part of DRC has faced an outbreak of Ebola, which is spread via the body fluids of infected people, including the dead. DRC's health ministry says there have been 130 confirmed Ebola cases, including 74 deaths, since the outbreak was declared August 1.

Safe burials are critical in stopping the spread of the disease, and the Red Cross said it has carried out 162 in North Kivu since the outbreak, DRC's tenth, began.

Insecurity is also a major challenge to health workers. Several armed groups roam the heavily populated region near Uganda, carrying out attacks and causing an estimated 1 million people to be displaced in North Kivu province alone.

The World Health Organisation, which last week announced that the risk of Ebola's spread over DRC's border was "very high" after cases were confirmed near Uganda, now says the outbreak is at a "critical point." The WHO director-general, Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, has expressed concern about the virus' spread into inaccessible "red zones" where armed groups have control.

Human Rights Watch on Thursday said more than 235 people have been killed in the Beni area this year in attacks with guns, axes or machetes. More than 165 others have been kidnapped. In the past four years more than 1 000 people have died.

"The brutal killings of Beni residents won't end until the commanders of the responsible forces are brought to justice," said Ida Sawyer, the group's deputy Africa director. "As Congolese authorities have not credibly investigated or prosecuted these atrocities, the International Criminal Court should investigate them for future trials."

Though many attacks have been blamed on Allied Democratic Forces rebels, Human Rights Watch said other armed groups and certain Congolese army officers might be involved.

Military operations launched in the region have been ineffective, the rights group said.

* Sign up to News24's top Africa news in your inbox: SUBSCRIBE TO THE HELLO AFRICA NEWSLETTER

FOLLOW News24 Africa on Twitter and Facebook

Read more on:    hrw  |  world health organisation  |  drc  |  central africa  |  ebola  |  health

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.