Angola ex-rebel chief Savimbi to be buried on Saturday: family

2019-05-29 18:46
Jonas Savimbi (File,AFP)

Jonas Savimbi (File,AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Angola's main opposition party, the former rebel movement Unita, said on Wednesday it planned to go ahead with a public funeral this weekend for its ex-leader Jonas Savimbi after a dispute with the government over the handling of his remains.

Savimbi, a charismatic, controversial warlord who fought Angola's socialist government in a 27-year civil war, was killed in a battle against the People's Movement for the Liberation of Angola (MPLA) government forces in February 2002.

His death paved the way for a peace deal bringing an end to one of Africa's longest and bloodiest conflicts, which erupted after independence from Portugal in 1975.

Unita had long called for the MPLA, which has governed Angola since independence, to allow his body to be exhumed and given a "dignified" burial.

After a meeting on Wednesday between Savimbi's family and Unita, the party had "decided to maintain its programme" for the burial on Saturday, Unita spokesperson Alcides Sakala Simoes told AFP.

"We are calling for calm," Simoes said, adding the burial would be an important moment to help in "the construction of a national reconciliation."

Savimbi's son, Cheya Savimbi, confirmed the burial would take place on Saturday.

After negotiations, the government had planned to hand over the remains of the former rebel chief on Tuesday to allow the body to be buried in his native village on Saturday.

But the remains were not handed over, sparking accusations from both sides.

The government said the family and Unita delegation did not show up as arranged in Luena in Moxico provInce. But the family delegation was waiting in Kuito, around 400km away where they said the meeting had been arranged.

The government says the body was transported on Tuesday to Andulo, a village near where the Savimbi funeral was planned.

"We left the body in the military barracks" in Andulo, said Pedro Sebastiao, head of security for President Joao Lourenco, urging Unita to collect it as soon as possible.

The family said the government had changed the programme but said they did not want any "conflict" over the burial.

Read more on:    unita  |  jonas savimbi  |  angola  |  southern africa
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

 
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.