Angola says 180 000 illegal migrants return to DRC

2018-10-09 20:00
iStock

iStock

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Angola has returned over 180 000 illegal migrants from the Democratic Republic of Congo back across the border since the start of a security crackdown last week, Angolan authorities said on Tuesday.

Police said they targeted foreign nationals suspected of diamond smuggling.

Angola's operations against the migrants triggered clashes between Congolese, security forces and local Angolans largely in the northern province of Lunda Norte, which borders on DRC.

Local media and an NGO reported that several migrants have been killed, though Angolan authorities deny any deaths.

"In recent days, at least 180 802 citizens of the DRC have freely left our country," police chief Antonio Bernardo told reporters on Tuesday.

Congolese border posts in the region confirmed that several thousand DRC citizens have returned in recent days.

Bernardo added that 800 foreigners from DRC, Lebanon, Mali and Nigeria had been arrested over involvement in the illegal diamond trade in the area.

He said 120 trading premises had been closed and 30 000 diamonds seized.

* Sign up to News24's top Africa news in your inbox: SUBSCRIBE TO THE HELLO AFRICA NEWSLETTER

FOLLOW News24 Africa on Twitter and Facebook

Read more on:    drc  |  southern africa
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.