Angola's Dos Santos 'to stay in control' even after stepping down

2017-02-04 11:30
Jose Eduardo dos Santos (AFP)

Jose Eduardo dos Santos (AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Cape Town – Angola's Jose Eduardo Dos Santos is set to remain the leader of the ruling People's Movement for the Liberation of Angola (MPLA), when he steps down as president later this year, BBC reports.

Dos Santos confirmed on Friday that he would step down ahead of elections in August.

The long-time leader has been in power for almost a decade.

He named Joao Lourenco as the candidate to run in his place.

A South African based political analyst Gary van Staden, however, played down the significance of Dos Santos' announcement, Reuters said.

"He is still going to stay in a very powerful position in the party, which means he is going to stay in control and the president will defer to him," Van Staden was quoted as saying.

Lourenco, a former general, emerged as the probable successor late last year at a meeting of the MPLA.

Earlier in the year, Dos Santos had said he would step down in 2018.

Read more on:    jose eduardo dos santos  |  angola  |  southern africa
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.