At least seven dead in migrant shipwreck off Libya

2018-07-03 22:11
Libyan coast guard (Mahmud Turkia/AFP)

Libyan coast guard (Mahmud Turkia/AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

At least seven migrants including two children died when their boat ran into trouble on Tuesday off the coast of Libya, the coastguard said, the latest victims of the perilous voyage to Europe.

Another 123 migrants were rescued and taken ashore where they will be transferred to a detention centre in the Libyan capital, navy officer Rami Ghommeidh told AFP.

Nearly 180 migrants have died or gone missing since Friday in the Mediterranean, according to figures from the Libyan coastguard.

Conflict-ridden Libya is a key transit point for thousands of African migrants trying to reach European shores.

So far this year more than 1 000 people have died in the Mediterranean, according to International Organisation for Migration figures.

* Sign up to News24's top Africa news in your inbox: SUBSCRIBE TO THE HELLO AFRICA NEWSLETTER 

FOLLOW News24 Africa on Twitter and Facebook

Read more on:    libya  |  migrants  |  north africa
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.