Attack on DRC Ebola centre leaves one dead

2019-03-09 16:21
(iStock)

(iStock)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Armed men attacked an Ebola treatment centre in the east of the Democratic Republic of Congo again on Saturday, killing a policeman and wounding a health worker, the authorities said.

The facility, located at Butembo in the troubled province of North Kivu, only reopened last Saturday after an attack by gunmen the previous Wednesday forced its closure.

"Shooting started at about six in the morning and resumed 30 minutes later with resistance from the army and the police," Butembo mayor Sylvain Kanyamanda Mbusa told AFP.

The health worker was shot and was being treated in hospital.

"The army and the police caught one of the attackers," he said, hoping it would help understand the motive for the raid which came just a few hours before World Health Organization chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus was to visit the centre.

It was the third attack on the centre, said the mayor of the city of a million people.

He branded the attackers "terrorists" who wanted to "kill the sick" and said the captured attacker was a member of the Mai-Mai rebel group.

Efforts to curb the DR Congo's worst Ebola outbreak are stumbling, medical charity MSF warned Thursday, blaming the role of the security forces in the response and their "toxic" relations with local communities

It highlighted that more than 40% of deaths are occurring in communities rather than in Ebola treatment centres.

Repairs were also set to begin on another North Kivu treatment centre, in Katwa, that was set ablaze on the night of February 24.

Both centres had been jointly run by the health ministry and Doctors Without Borders (MSF), but after the first attacks, the aid agency announced it was suspending its activities in both facilities.

The Butembo centre is now run by the health ministry in collaboration with the WHO and the UN children's organisation Unicef.

The deadly viral disease broke out in North Kivu last August and spread to neighbouring Ituri province.

It has claimed 561 lives out of 894 recorded cases, according to the latest ministry figures.

Efforts to contain the epidemic, the 10th in the country's history, have been hampered by poor security in the highly unstable region, where numerous militia groups are active.

Read more on:    drc  |  ebola
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.