Attacks on South Sudan health facilities, workers increasing

2018-04-23 21:37

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Everyone and everything is a target in South Sudan's civil war, as attacks against health facilities and aid workers increase, a new report says.

At least 50 medical institutions were attacked in 2016 and 2017, says the report released on Monday by the New York-based Watchlist on Children and Armed Conflict. In at least 750 incidents over the same period humanitarian access was denied by various armed groups, including government troops.

Both government and opposition forces have deliberately destroyed, burned, looted and occupied hospitals and clinics and detained, abducted and killed medical personnel and aid workers as a tactic of war, according to the report, based on more than 90 interviews and focusing on the Greater Upper Nile, Bahr el Ghazal and Equatoria regions.

"I have never seen anything like what I saw in South Sudan. Parties to the conflict are attacking health care and regularly denying humanitarian access in tandem. The result has been man-made public health crises such as cholera and famine and the most vulnerable, children, are the most impacted," Christine Monaghan, a research officer with the Watchlist, told The Associated Press.

She called it a "sharp rise" from previous years, putting South Sudan in the company of places like Syria, Yemen and Afghanistan. One study by Human Rights Watch documented 48 attacks on health services over a 17-year period, from 1997-2014. South Sudan's civil war began in December 2013.

The effects of the five-year conflict are far-reaching. The fighting has killed untold tens of thousands, displaced millions and plunged parts of the country into famine. The East African country's already fragile health care system has been devastated.

In one attack in July, six armed men broke into the Doctors Without Borders compound in the town of Pibor, threatening humanitarians, stealing phones and computers and injuring two staff members, the new report says.

By the end of last year at least 20% of South Sudan's 1 900 medical facilities had been shut down due to the fighting, leaving 70% of civilians without access to adequate health care, according to the United Nations.

Doctors across the country say people are dying as a result.

Armed men looted health facilities in Wau County "taking drugs, equipment, the generator, even the roof, the windows and the doors. Of course no services are being delivered," Dr. Edmund Sebit, senior medical officer at the teaching hospital in Wau city, told the AP during a visit last year.

Some people in the county were forced to walk for hours, even days, for care, some dying on the way, he said.

In the Equatoria town of Lainya in November the AP visited the primary medical centre, now closed. Smashed glass, broken furniture, scattered papers and damaged equipment were strewn across the floor. Locals said "men in uniform" attacked the centre when fighting spread to the region in 2016.

Both the government and the opposition have denied attacking medical facilities or using them as military bases.

"It's not SPLA's policy to attack or destroy social amenities," army spokesperson Lul Ruai Koang told AP.

Opposition spokesperson Lam Paul Gabriel said health facilities are always left for community use.

However, rights groups say the attacks and denial of humanitarian access have continued for years.

"Since this war started we have seen both sides attack health workers, clinics and hospitals in total disregard of the protections accorded to them under international humanitarian law," said Jehanne Henry, senior researcher for Human Rights Watch.

* Sign up to News24's top Africa news in your inbox: SUBSCRIBE TO THE HELLO AFRICA NEWSLETTER

FOLLOW News24 Africa on Twitter and Facebook

Read more on:    human rights watch  |  south sudan  |  east africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.