Cape Town – Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari has ordered an investigation into allegations that women and girls who are victims of Boko Haram were sexually abused by government official tasked with helping them. The alleged abuses were made public in a report released by human rights watchdog, Human Rights Watch (HRW) on Monday.According to the BBC, Buhari’s office condemned the alleged abuses, adding that his office was "shocked" by the report. The HRW said it had in July documented 43 cases of women and girls in seven internally displaced persons' (IDP) camps in Maiduguri, the epicentre of the seven-year Islamist insurgency, who had been abused by camp leaders, vigilante groups, policemen, and soldiers."It is bad enough that these women and girls are not getting much-needed support for the horrific trauma they suffered at the hands of Boko Haram," said Mausi Segun, senior Nigeria researcher at HRW."It is disgraceful and outrageous that people who should protect these women and girls are attacking and abusing them," he added.Four of the victims told HRW they were drugged and raped, while 37 were coerced into sex through false marriage promises and material and financial assistance.Buhari's office said it had since instructed the police chief and state governors to immediately launch an investigation. Boko Haram has devastated northeast Nigeria in its quest to create an Islamist state, killing over 20 000 people and displacing 2.6 million from their homes.Since taking up arms against the Nigerian government in 2009, the jihadists have disrupted trade routes and farms.