Burkina Faso says it has thwarted a coup attempt

2016-10-21 19:00
iStock

iStock (iStock)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Ouagadougou - Security officials in Burkina Faso say they have foiled another coup plot in this west African nation and blame it on former presidential guards.

Security Minister Simon Compaore said on Friday at least 10 people have been arrested, while the top suspect remains on the run.

Authorities say the attempt was planned by forces loyal to the former longtime president who was forced to resign two years ago in a popular uprising.

The 1 300-member presidential guard was dismantled last year after they tried to overthrow the transitional government that was installed after president Blaise Compaore fled the country.

The security ministry says the latest attempt had been planned for October 9 but was foiled when two former guards were killed trying to enter the capital.

Read more on:    blaise compaore  |  burkina faso  |  west africa
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.