Burundi govt ready to take part in 'final' crisis talks: minister

2018-08-26 18:56
iStock

iStock

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

The Burundi government is prepared to take part in a "final" session of crisis talks with the opposition, expected to be held in Uganda next month, the foreign minister announced on Saturday despite earlier official word that the dialogue was over.

"We are preparing to take part in the fifth round of talks," foreign minister Ezechiel Nibigira said in a video put online by the Iwacu newspaper.

"Burundi thinks this will be the final round" of talks, the minister said.

His comments come days after the UN Security Council criticised the slow progress in talks between Burundi's government and the opposition despite President Pierre Nkurunziza's decision not to seek re-election in 2020.

In a unanimous statement, the council welcomed Nkurunziza's announcement, but added that "additional progress will be necessary for credible elections" to be held in two years.

The east African (EAC) bloc of countries is seeking to broker a political deal between the government and the opposition to end the crisis that erupted in 2015 when Nkurunziza decided to seek a third term.

Nkurunziza's decision to run for re-election plunged Burundi into violence that left 1 200 people dead and drove 400 000 from to their homes. The International Criminal Court last year opened an investigation for grave crimes committed in Burundi.

So far the government has refused to hold talks with some opposition groups that it brands terrorists, despite a mediation set up by regional countries under former Tanzanian president Benjamin Mkapa.

According to a diplomatic source, Mkapa wants to organise a fifth and last round of talks, seen as a final chance for a negotiated settlement, in the central Ugandan town of Entebbe in the last week of September.

The fourth session of Burundi political dialogue, held in late 2017 without the participation of the opposition in exile, ended without agreement.

The UN Security Council statement on Wednesday stressed that elections in Burundi must be "free, fair, transparent, peaceful and fully inclusive, with the participation of all political parties," and ensure the full participation of women.

President Nkurunziza has been accused of sliding towards authoritarianism since he came to power in 2005 at the end of Burundi's brutal civil war.

* Sign up to News24's top Africa news in your inbox: SUBSCRIBE TO THE HELLO AFRICA NEWSLETTER

FOLLOW News24 Africa on Twitter and Facebook

Read more on:    international criminal court  |  un  |  burundi  |  east africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.