Cease-fire holds in Libya after clashes that killed 117

2018-09-26 19:30
iStock

iStock

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

A recent bout of heavy fighting in the capital Tripoli has come to a halt after warring militias signed a new cease-fire agreement, Libyan authorities said on Wednesday.

The UN-backed government said in a statement it welcomed the cease-fire agreement, which was brokered by local representatives and tribal leaders.

Fighting in Tripoli first erupted on August 26 when the 7th Brigade comprised of militias hailing from Tarhouna, a town about 60km south of Tripoli, attacked southern neighborhoods of the capital.

The Tripoli Revolutionaries' Brigades and the Nawasi Brigade, militias which support the UN-backed government, came to the city's defence. Clashes flared up again last week, breaking a previous, UN-brokered ceasefire that began earlier this month.

At least 117 people, including civilians, have been killed in the fighting and another 404 wounded. Twenty people remain missing since fighting first began there, the Health Ministry said.

In the past two days, 1 700 families have been displaced due to renewed fighting, the UN aid agency said on Tuesday. A total of 5 000 families have sought refuge with relatives in safer parts of Tripoli and its outskirts since August 26, the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs said.

"The clashes have led to a breakdown in basic services such as electricity and water," UN Humanitarian Coordinator Maria Ribeiro said.

The fighting underscored the country's lingering lawlessness more than seven years after the uprising that toppled and later killed longtime ruler Muammar Gaddafi. Libya is currently ruled by rival authorities in Tripoli and the east, each backed by an array of militias.

* Sign up to News24's top Africa news in your inbox: SUBSCRIBE TO THE HELLO AFRICA NEWSLETTER

FOLLOW News24 Africa on Twitter and Facebook

Read more on:    un  |  libya  |  north africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.