Death toll from DRC violence now 12: protestors

2018-01-02 18:56
iStock

iStock

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Kinshasa - The death toll from a crackdown on New Year's Eve protests in Democratic Republic of Congo has risen to 12, protesters said on Tuesday.

"Eleven people died in Kinshasa and one in Kananga," Jonas Tshombela, a spokesperson for the protest organisers, told AFP.

Catholic and opposition groups on Sunday defied a ban on demonstrations demanding that President Joseph Kabila leave office.

They were met with a deadly crackdown by authorities, who fired tear gas into churches and bullets in the air to break up gatherings.

The protests took place on the first anniversary of a deal under which Kabila was scheduled to leave office in 2017 after fresh elections - a vote that has since been postponed until December 2018.

In contrast to the toll given by the protestors, the United Nations said in a statement Tuesday that "at least five people" were killed, adding that several others had been wounded and more than 120 arrested. On Sunday, a UN source said eight were killed and 123 arrested, including priests.

An AFP reporter at a demonstration in the central city of Kananga saw a man shot in the chest by soldiers who opened fire on worshippers.

Police spokesperson colonel Rombaut-Pierrot Mwanamputu, meanwhile, said in a statement on Tuesday that "no deaths" had occurred in the context of the demonstrations.

On Sunday, he had said three civilians - "robbers" and "looters" - had been killed, in incidents that had occurred far from the protests. The DRC authorities also say a policeman was killed when a police station came under "attack."

Meanwhile, the internet was restored on Tuesday after the government cut services for three days.

The Congolese minister for telecommunications, Emery Okundji, ordered mobile operators to cut internet and SMS services "for reasons of state security" on Saturday.

Internet cuts are common during anti-government demonstrations in the vast, mineral-rich central African country.

Protesters want Kabila to promise he will not further extend his time in power in DRC, a mostly Catholic former Belgian colony.

In its statement on Tuesday, the UN reiterated its appeal to "all Congolese actors" to adhere to the December 31, 2016 agreement - "the only viable path to the holding of elections, the peaceful transfer of power and the consolidation of stability in the DRC."

Read more on:    un  |  drc  |  central africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.