DRC capital bans rallies ahead of vote

2018-12-19 19:42
DRC  (File, AFP)

DRC (File, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

The capital of the Democratic Republic of Congo announced on Wednesday that it was barring all public rallies, four days ahead of elections in the volatile central African country.

The governor of Kinshasa, Andre Kimbuta, citing what he said was the likelihood of violence, announced the ban on the day that opposition candidate Martin Fayulu was to hold a meeting in the city.

"The provincial government of Kinshasa, on security grounds, has decided to suspend election campaign activities on all of the territory of the capital from today, December 18," Kimbuta's statement said.

The measure applies to "all presidential candidates, without exception," it said.

"Information at our disposal confirms that in all the political camps of the main presidential candidates, extremists are prepared and are preparing for confrontations in the streets of the city of Kinshasa during election campaigning," the communique said.

The statement, which was confirmed by the Kinshasa police, said the ban would not apply to "use of media" to convey campaign messages.

More than 40 million people are eligible to cast their vote on Sunday.

The elections are a huge challenge for the DRC, which has never known a peaceful transition of power since it gained independence from Belgium in 1960.

President Joseph Kabila, 47, has been in power for 17 years, succeeding his assassinated father in 2001.

He is at the helm of a government that critics say is notorious for corruption, incompetence and rights abuse.

Kabila should have stepped down as president at the end of 2016 when he reached a two-term limit.

He stayed on, invoking a caretaker clause in the constitution, but at the cost of protests that were bloodily repressed.

Twenty-one candidates are vying to replace him.

The front-runners are Kabila's hand-picked successor Emmanuel Ramazani Shadary, a hardline former interior minister linked to the crackdown, and opposition leaders Fayulu and Felix Tshisekedi.

Fayulu repeatedly accused the authorities of trying to thwart campaign appearances in the east and southeast of the sprawling country.

His rally on Wednesday had been scheduled to take place in Saint-Therese Square in the Ndjili district.

Several hundred people were calmly awaiting him there at mid-day, and other supporters were seen at a highway in the east of the city, where his motorcade was due to pass, AFP reporters said.

* Sign up to News24's top Africa news in your inbox: SUBSCRIBE TO THE HELLO AFRICA NEWSLETTER

FOLLOW News24 Africa on Twitter and Facebook

Read more on:    drc  |  central africa
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.