DRC ex-health minister questioned over use of Ebola funds

2019-08-28 11:37

Kinshasa – Oly Ilunga, who resigned as DR Congo health minister last month, was questioned on Tuesday as part of an inquiry into the use of public funds earmarked to tackle the Ebola epidemic, his lawyer said.

The former minister's evidence was heard by the attorney general and "trusts in the justice system of his country," lawyer Guy Kabeya told AFP.

A judicial source said Ilunga had left "freely". Three of the minister's former co-workers, including a doctor, were held in custody the source added, confirming a report by the Top Congo radio station.

The hearings were part of a preliminary inquiry "into the management of substantial funds provided by the government for the battle against the Ebola virus", which has claimed almost 2 000 lives, another source said.

Ilunga resigned last month, citing his removal as the head of the Democratic Republic of Congo's Ebola response team and concerns over a proposed "experiment" with a new, unlicensed vaccine.

Situation on ground 'under control'

Nearly 170 000 people have been given an Ebola vaccine manufactured by German pharma giant Merck since the outbreak started in the Democratic Republic of Congo a year ago.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) has been pushing for the introduction of a second vaccine produced by US company Johnson & Johnson, but the health ministry under Ilunga has resisted such a move, citing the risks of introducing a new product in communities where mistrust of Ebola responders is already high.

The Merck vaccine is tested but unlicensed, while the Johnson & Johnson drug is still in the trial investigation stage.

The vast central African nation's new pointman on Ebola, Jean-Jacques Muyembe, told reporters on Tuesday that "we now have the situation on the ground under control".

"There is great hope that things will get a lot better in the days to come," he added, thanking China for 60 tons of medical equipment to tackle the problem.

Since August last year, Ebola has killed more than 1 900 people in DR Congo, the second-biggest epidemic since more than 11 300 people died in Liberia, Guinea and Sierra Leone between 2014 and 2016.

GET THE NEWS at your fingertips and download the News24 app for Android here now. Get it for your iPhone here.

KEEP UPDATED on the latest news by subscribing to our FREE newsletter.

- FOLLOW News24 on Twitter


Read more on:    democratic republic of congo  |  ebola epidemic  |  central africa  |  ebola
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.