DRC former warlord says he would back opposition candidate

2018-09-17 10:11
Jean-Pierre Bemba (File: AFP)

Jean-Pierre Bemba (File: AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Former warlord Jean-Pierre Bemba said on Monday he would be willing to support an opposition candidate in the Democratic Republic of Congo's much-delayed presidential election, which he is banned from standing in.

Bemba, one of six hopefuls excluded by the election commission from the December 23 vote, told magazine Jeune Afrique the country is still "very far" from holding a democratic election.

"But if the elections take place under (democratic) conditions, and if the opposition unites behind one candidate, then yes... I will support that person and I will make them win," he said.

Bemba has previously accused President Joseph Kabila of trying to hand-pick a successor by eliminating serious rivals, branding the vote a "parody" after he was barred from contesting earlier this month.

The former Belgian colony has not seen a peaceful transition of power since 1960.

Kabila - in power since 2001 despite his second and final term ending two years ago - said in August he will not run again after keeping silent on the issue for months, fuelling tension and deadly unrest in the volatile central African nation.

* Sign up to News24's top Africa news in your inbox: SUBSCRIBE TO THE HELLO AFRICA NEWSLETTER

FOLLOW News24 Africa on Twitter and Facebook

The president has named his former interior minister Ramazani Shadary as his chosen successor.

In an interview headlined "Kabila was scared of me", Bemba said any call to boycott the election "would not be my personal decision, but that of the opposition".

Bemba, who was vice-president of an interim government between 2003 and 2006, had appealed the decision to exclude him from running in the election.

But the Constitutional Court upheld the ban, citing his conviction by the International Criminal Court (ICC) for bribing witnesses at his war crimes trial.

Bemba has been acquitted of charges of murder, rape and pillaging committed by his private army in the neighbouring Central African Republic in 2002-3, but is due to be sentenced Monday over the bribery conviction.

Bemba told the magazine that the ICC prohibits him from commenting on the case, but added that bribing witnesses did not constitute corruption.

"In DR Congo's penal code, corruption and perjury are defined by two different articles of law," he said.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.