DRC President Joseph Kabila will not seek third term: PM

2018-06-13 06:04
Democratic Republic of Congo President Joseph Kabila. (Photo: AFP)

Democratic Republic of Congo President Joseph Kabila. (Photo: AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

The prime minister of the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) has said that President Joseph Kabila will not seek a third mandate in the country's delayed elections because of constitutional term limits that prevent him from running again.

Kabila, whose second term officially ended in 2016, is constitutionally ineligible for December's poll and his rivals accuse him of wanting to stay in power.

So far, he has not clearly stated himself whether he will step aside despite appeals from the international community to publicly say he will not run for re-election.

But DRC Prime Minister Bruno Tshibala said on Tuesday that Kabila will respect the constitution.

"The elections are going to take place without the participation of President Kabila who will abide by the spirit and the letter of the constitution," he said in an interview on the sidelines of the International Economic Forum of the Americas conference in Montreal, Canada.

December election

The country has seen widespread anger over what some see as Kabila's refusal to relinquish power after the end of his his second full term in December 2016.

Kabila came to power in 2001 after the assassination of his father, Laurent-Desire Kabila, the country's third president.

He was elected in 2006 in the DRC's first democratic election since it gained independence from Belgium in 1960.

Kabila secured a second term in 2011, though that election was plagued by allegations of widespread voter fraud.

Currently, a DRC president can only serve two, consecutive, five-year terms.

According to the DRC's Independent National Electoral Commission, the elections - which have been postponed twice - will take place on December 23, 2018.

Last week, exiled opposition leader Moise Katumbi addressed thousands of supporters in the capital, Kinshasa, via a video link and called for a united front against Kabila.

Read more on:    joseph kabila  |  drc  |  central africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.